Traditionally, the first full week of June is National Garden Week. What better way to celebrate gardening than at The Garden Club of Kentucky – Nannine Clay Wallis Arboretum annual Arbor Day Celebration, Friday, June 7. The dedication of plants given in honor and remembrance will begin at 1:30pm at the front entrance of the Wallis House-GCKY Headquarters with Judy Ferrell, Arboretum Chair, and GCKY President Donna Smith welcoming friends, families and all who enjoy gardening.
The Arboretum is at its most lush and flowery due to the mild winter and long wet spring particularly around Mrs. Wallis’ Rose Arbor. In preparation for Arbor Day, the Arbor was scraped, cleaned and newly painted by GCKY members. Mrs. Wallis planted it with climbing roses under planted with iris. Today, the very popular New Dawn (introduced 1989) donated by Millersburg Garden Club several years ago covers the Arbor. Connecting the Rose Garden and Arbor is one of two original elves that sits on a pedestal surrounded by low growing roses and hellebores.
American Pillar (introduced 1902), planted by Mrs. Wallis continues to grow on the left end of the Pergola. It has proved to be one of the hardiest ramblers, vigorous, drought resistant and one of the few tolerates partial shade.
Mrs. Wallis always planted the newest and best varieties when introduced. As a demonstration garden, the Arboretum continues to plant new while maintaining those that are best suited for our area.
Emphasis this year has been the addition of sun-loving annual including alyssum, begonia, lantana, marigold petunia and perennial verbena that will provide color through and into fall. and alyssum in the border beds.
May blooming Cornus kousa (Korean dogwood) are in full bloom. Unlike C. florida whose foliage appears as blooms fade, C. kousa’s foliage emerges first to highlight its stunning pointed white blooms.
The Garden Club of Kentucky, Inc., applied for an emergency grant from the Kentucky Colonels to repair and restore the Carriage House in the Nannine Clay Wallis Arboretum. Built in 1903 by Mrs. Wallis’ father, Thomas Clay, its siding and doors had considerable rot due to water damage. It was not until the affected siding was removed that the extensive amount of rot was revealed.
The original single sliding doors on the driveway and opposite side were replaced with two opposing sliding doors to make it easier to open and reduce the weight on the rail when open. Stall and cupola windows, three posts, and siding where needed were replaced. Due to rains and temperature, painting will wait until dry weather later this spring.
The Carriage House has now found a new use. It will be part of our educational programs beginning with the Kids Day at the Arboretum, July 29. The free day of exploring and learning about pollinators is open to children 6-12 when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
<div style=”text-align: center;”>
<h1>The Nannine Clay Wallis Arboretum</h1>
<a href=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arboretum-article1.jpg”><img src=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arboretum-article1.jpg” alt=”Arboretum article1″ width=”100%” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-525″ /></a>
<a href=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arboretum-article2.jpg”><img src=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arboretum-article2.jpg” alt=”Arboretum article2″ width=”100%” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-526″ /></a>
<a href=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arboretum-article3.jpg”><img src=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Arboretum-article3.jpg” alt=”Arboretum article3″ width=”100%” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-524″ /></a>