We’re getting ready for the third annual (free) Kids Day at the Arboretum, Monday, July 29. We are continuing Mrs. Wallis’s generosity of inviting children into her garden (Arboretum) to explore and learn about plants and the environment.
This year, Kids Day registration will begin 9:30am at the Paris/Bourbon County Library with Smokey Bear’s visit and Smokey film, followed by lunch at the Arboretum and a Scavenger Hunt that includes a booklet to record the items found and color, plus these educational activities: Hydroponics, Composting, Bees, Recycling, Rain Garden /Rain Barrel and a visit to the Carriage House complete with full-size ‘horse’, tack and carriage.
Hands-on activities include
- the very popular Build-a-Bug,
- Newspaper Puppet (finger puppet),
- Painted Tee Shirts (supplied by GCKY and the Library back by popular demand),
- Coffee Filter Seed Packets(seed for the kids to plant), and
- Milk Jug Watering Can to decorate to water their plants.
And, a bag to decorate to hold all the things they will make throughout the afternoon. Activities will conclude at 3:00pm. The day at the Arboretum is open to all children 6-12. They must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Open to the Public! Free to All!
- Lunch of hot dogs, chips, fruit, cookies, water
Host a Kids Day in your Community: Kids Day Manual