The Garden Club of Kentucky, Inc., applied for an emergency grant from the Kentucky Colonels to repair and restore the Carriage House in the Nannine Clay Wallis Arboretum. Built in 1903 by Mrs. Wallis’ father, Thomas Clay, its siding and doors had considerable rot due to water damage. It was not until the affected siding was removed that the extensive amount of rot was revealed.
The original single sliding doors on the driveway and opposite side were replaced with two opposing sliding doors to make it easier to open and reduce the weight on the rail when open. Stall and cupola windows, three posts, and siding where needed were replaced. Due to rains and temperature, painting will wait until dry weather later this spring.
The Carriage House has now found a new use. It will be part of our educational programs beginning with the Kids Day at the Arboretum, July 29. The free day of exploring and learning about pollinators is open to children 6-12 when accompanied by a parent or guardian.