- Patron of Gardeners – October 2nd is is St Francis of Assisi Day, known for his love of animals and nature.
- 15 Minute Gardening – Label garden hoses “Not Potable”, since the PVC stabilizer can leach into the water. Potable are available from garden stores and on-line.
- Water Early and Deep – Always water early morning to let foliage dry off before the sun reaches the plant. Water beads will act as a magnifying glass, burning the foliage. Soil should be watered one inch a week or when the soil is dry more than the top inch. To check the depth, use a spade to take a narrow plug. Slow water to allow for absorption and not run-off.
- Wedding- Pull or dig weeds making sure all of the root system is removed.
- Saving Seeds – Save seed from your favorite annuals except hybrid varieties that will not come true or are sterile. Seed packets marked F1, are hybrids.
- Spacing Bulbs – For a naturalized planting of bulbs, determine the area to be planted, throw bulbs them over your back, and plant where they landed.
- Caring for dried flowers – Use spray lacquer or hair spray on dried flower to prevent shattering and as a primer before spray painting. Revive cut hydrangeas by plunging them head-first into water, also stems if possible, for about an hour.
- Trees and shrubs – Rake walnuts, sweet gum, buckeye and Kentucky Coffee(our Heritage Tree) seeds before mowing as they can dull mower blades and can be a dangerous projective. The Whitehaven Welcome Center will gladly receive your buckeye seeds and Coffee tree pods to share with visitors who enjoy receiving both.
- Separate grocery-purchased garlic cloves that have sprouted, pot up, and snip new growth for cooking.
- For fried green tomatoes, use only hard green ones without any blush. Those that show color tend to get too soft.
- Fish Tank Fertilizer – Save water from cleaning the fish tank to fertilize the garden.
Concert In The Garden
The Central Kentucky Concert Band entertains more than 250 guests in the Nannine Clay Wallis Arboretum on the 4th of July weekend. It was a beautiful evening to picnic and enjoy the wonderful music. Maybe you would like to attend next year!