Fiscal Year – The Fiscal Year shall be from April 1st to March 31st. All member clubs shall be required to conform to these dates as their fiscal year. (Bylaws, Article VI, Section 1)
- Annual dues are to be set by the Executive Committee, approved by the Board of Governors and voted at the GCKY General Assembly.
- Dues are to be paid by March 31st.
- Dues shall be delinquent after May 31st. The GCKY Treasurer shall send reminder notices to the District Director and club president whose dues are not paid by this time. After such notice, any club not paying its dues by August 31st shall be dropped from membership.
- A reinstatement fee as determined by the Executive Committee is required to bring a club back in good standing.
(Bylaws, Article VI, Section 2 a. – c.)
Club Treasurer shall send dues and five (5) copies of the Officer page form and a complete alphabetical list of regular members to the State Treasurer by March 31st. The GCKY Treasurer retains one copy and sends one copy each to GCKY President, 1st Vice President, Bulletin Editor and the appropriate District Director.
The elected officers of the club shall be President, Vice President(s), Recording Secretary and Treasurer, and any other officers desired by the club.
All officers shall be elected for the same term as state officers.
Duties of club officers
- Be the official representative of the club.
- Preside at all club Executive Board Meetings.
- Appoint Chairs of Standing and Special Projects.
- Be a member of the District Board of Governors and GCKY Board of Governors.
- Attend District Meeting and GCKY Convention. Send a list of Delegates to meetings registrar. (One delegate for every 10 paid members or fraction there of plus the president) If unable to attend either meeting, the President may appoint a representative.
- Send two (2) copies of President’s contact information to the District Director by March 31st.
- The club president is a voting member of the Board of Governors that meets immediately prior to the General Assembly of the District Annual Meeting and GCKY Convention.
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
- Direct the club treasurer to send dues and five (5) copies of the Officer page form and alphabetical list of regular and associate members to the State Treasurer between April 1st and May 31st.
- Present an oral report at the District Meeting and submit two (2) copies to the District Secretary and keep one for club files. The District Director will set the time limit on length of reporting. (Three minutes report is the standard.)
- Send the Club President’s Report to the GCKY President and District Director by January 15th. The form is available at: www.gardenclubky.org, Forms, Club President’s Reports; or by writing the GCKY President for a printed copy. This report is the basis for the GCKY report to National Garden Clubs and for the Standard of Excellence and Superiority awards presented at the following District Meeting.
Suggested Procedures for Newly Elected Club President:
- Study the club, district and state bylaws.
- Familiarize yourself with your clubs background information.
- Use basic parliamentary procedure and Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Appoint Chair of Standing and Special Committees and any Appointed Officers as outlined in the clubs bylaws.
- Answer all Correspondence promptly.
- Set up your calendar to include district and state activities, report due dates and dues due dates.
- Be aware of State, Regional and National President’s themes.
- Set the goals for your administration. Realize that the club is encouraged to participate in as many of the GCKY, South Atlantic Region, and National Garden Club activities as desired. Clubs are not required to participate but are encouraged to participate and to take advantage of materials available.
- In the absence of the President, perform the duties of the President.
- Become President when a vacancy occurs.
- Perform the duties as outlined in the club bylaws.
- Record the proceedings of all Executive Committee and club meetings in a permanent form and distribute copies as required.
- Retain all papers pertaining to the club permanent record for review as necessary.
- Present a bound copy of the minutes and the reports as soon as possible after the close of the term of office.
- Attend the correspondence as directed by the President or the Executive Committee.
- Perform the duties outlined in the club bylaws.
- Be responsible for all monies.
- The club’s bank account should have the EIN (Employer Identification Number) obtained by the club and not the Social Security Number of a member. An EIN can be obtained from the IRS using form SS-4 which can be found on the IRS website.
- Donations to your club are tax-deductions to the donor only is the club has IRS 501(c) (3) status that has been obtained by the club from the IRS or the club is a subordinate in the IRS
- Group Exemption through GCKY.
- Be accountable for receipts and disbursements and present a financial statement at each meeting.
- Be responsible for paying member and associate member dues to the State Treasurer with five (5) copies of the Officer page form and a complete alphabetical list of members by March 31st and are delinquent after May 31st. Forms are available at gardenclubky.org The State Treasurer retains one copy and sends one copy each to GCKY President, 1st Vice President, Bulletin editor and the appropriate District Director.
The club may apply for awards as given by GCKY, Regional and National. Award information is printed in the Directory Issue of the Bulletin which is printed in September of the ODD years. Award Application must be received by the GCKY Awards Chair by November 15th. Award year is from November 16th – November 15th.
A club yearbook should be an easy-to-use source of information for the club year. Every garden club, regardless of size, should have a yearbook presenting the goals and objectives of the club with officers, member’s information, details on meetings, and special events. The yearbook may compete for Yearbook Awards with details given in the September Directory Bulletin published in ODD years.